This tofu cooked in a simple, homemade spice blend has beautiful Indian flavors and is light and easy to put together. This recipe calls for a wok, but you can also bake the tofu in the spice combination, or saute it for a similar result. Enjoy!
Vegan Tofu with Curry Powder
- 1 block firm or extra firm tofu
- 1 shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1-2 tsp vegetable oil optional
- Press tofu until water is drained. While tofu is pressing, chop or slice your shallot and garlic and set aside.
- Mix the turmeric, garlic, cumin and coriander powders together in a bowl and set aside.
- Cut your pressed tofu into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
- Heat a wok or skillet on medium heat. Once hot, add 1 tsp of oil (you can omit oil and use water if you're using a skillet, just be sure to add a little water in place of oil). Next, add in your cumin seeds to the oil. They should crackle if the oil is ready. Let them cook for 10-20 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add in the garlic and shallot to the wok and stir with the cumin seeds until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Then add in the tofu. Mix the tofu with the garlic, shallot and cumin and cook the tofu for 5-7 minutes. Add the other tsp of oil if needed.
- Add the spices to the tofu mixture, 1 tsp at a time. We like the tofu to be well coated with spices, but you may want just a dusting. Coat the tofu well and turn off the heat. Taste for salt and add more if needed. Serve with rice and cilantro.