These pancakes were influenced by our trip to Thailand, where coconut was a central part of many of the pancake recipes we ate there. At our yoga retreat, Wonderland Healing Center, they served a version of these pancakes. We decided to make them with whole wheat flour instead, and added a lot more coconut and some cinnamon.
Along with coconut in the pancakes, we also suggest trying coconut milk as a topping on your pancakes. You can pair it along with, or instead of, syrup. We were served coconut milk with pancakes everywhere in Thailand and loved this touch!
Vegan Coconut Banana Pancakes
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 cups almond milk
- 6 bananas
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup desiccated or shredded coconut toasting the coconut first is optional
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- vegan butter or coconut oil for cooking the pancakes
- 2 tbsp sugar optional and to taste (we don't add it in)
- In a large bowl, mash the 6 bananas.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bananas (except the vegan butter/ coconut oil). Mix well until you can't see any flour and you have a batter.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle on medium heat. Once the skillet is hot, add vegan butter or coconut oil to the pan. Using a large spoon, add large spoonfuls of pancake mixture to the pan.
- Adjust heat as needed so the pancakes don't burn, and they cook well through the middle. Remove pancakes as they cook and set on a plate as you cook the rest of the batter.
- Serve with syrup, coconut milk, berries and bananas. Enjoy!