As always, we like recipes that are easy, fun to customize and make our own. With tofu scrambles, there are so many options. Although we made this scramble with potatoes and spinach, you could easily make one with mushrooms and broccoli. Or tomatoes and peppers. In addition, the spices we use below are delicious, but you could also add in oregano or fresh basil, maybe use some chili powder in place of paprika. Many options for spice mixes!
You can prep the potatoes and the tofu a day ahead to make it even quicker to throw the scramble together. An important step in prepping the tofu is pressing it, so make sure to do that first!
Have fun with it and if you make it, let us know in the comments below what you thought. Be sure to tag us in your photos as well at The Urban Veg!
Tofu Scramble with Potatoes and Spinach
- 1 block extra firm or firm tofu, pressed
- 2 tbsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp paprika powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 red onion
- 1 red or green pepper
- 3 red potatoes or 2 medium russet potatoes
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 tsp white cooking wine or juice from 1/4 lemon
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped optional for topping
- 1 green onion, chopped optional for topiing
- tabasco optional for topping
- If you haven't pressed your tofu, do that now. Next, fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil. While it is boiling, wash and cube the potatoes into 1-2" pieces (a little bigger than bite size).
- Mix the cumin, paprika, turmeric and salt together in a bowl. If you want a little heat, add a 1/4 tsp cayenne power. Crumble the pressed tofu into small pieces in a medium sized bowl. Pour just 2 teaspoons of the spice mix over the tofu and mix well with your hands to ensure all pieces are coated. Keep the rest of the spice mix to add to the rest of the scramble later.
- The water should be boiling now, so add your potatoes to the pot. Cook until fork tender, about 10 minutes. While the potatoes are cooking, prep your vegetables. Chop the garlic, onion and peppers and set aside. Tear off the leaves of the spinach and set aside. Chop cilantro and green onions if you plan to use for toppings.
- Check the potatoes and once they are cooked, strain in a colander to remove any water. Heat a large skillet or wok on medium heat. Add a teaspoon of oil (you can also omit just watch that the tofu doesn't stick). Once hot, add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Then add the onions and cook until caramelizing.
- Add the tofu to the skillet and cook for about a minute, mixing wit the onions and garlic. Add the peppers and cook until they start to get tender. Add in the potatoes and the rest of the spice mix. Cook for about a minute, then fold in the spinach and continue to stir until the spinach begins to wilt into the dish. Add the white wine, stir well and remove the pan from the heat.
- Taste the scramble for salt and add more if needed and mix again. It's ready to serve! Put on plates or in bowls, top with cilantro, hot sauce, green onions and any other toppings you might like. Enjoy!