I have found that hummus tastes are very personal! Some people like more garlic, less garlic, more salt, spicy, etc. Feel free to play with the ingredients in this oil free hummus as your taste buds desire. I like it even better made ahead and cold, which helps the flavors continue to meld.
In addition, this basic hummus recipe is awesome on it’s own, but allows you to get creative with your recipe. Some ideas for add-ins: roasted red peppers, jalapenos, more tahini, extra paprika, cilantro, avocado. The list goes on! The recipe pictured here has roasted red peppers added to it.
Since this recipe is oil-free, I use aquafaba, which is the liquid from cooking the chickpeas or from the chickpea can. You can also use water instead of aquafaba which I do from time to time. The aquafaba gives it a creamy and smooth texture. Note that since this recipe is oil-free, if you don’t use aquafaba you may find that it’s dry after a day and need to stir in a little bit of water.
Oil Free Hummus
- 1 can chickeaps or 1 1/2 cups cooked
- 2 Tbsp aquafaba see below. can sub water
- 1 Tbsp tahini
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice or juice from 1/3 lemon (to taste)
- 3 cloves garlic reduce if you don't like it spicy
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- pinch salt or to taste
- If using canned chickpeas, drain the chickpeas into a bowl to use the aquafaba (liquid from the can) later.
- Put the chickpeas and all of the rest of the ingredients in the food processor or blender, with a tablespoon of the aquafaba. Blend well.
- Check the consistency and add more aquafaba, or water if you aren't using aquafaba. Mix again if needed.
- Serve with veggies, pita bread, crackers or on put on a sandwich! Tip: Make ahead and store it in the fridge for a few hours if you want the flavors to meld even more!