Hearty Lentil Bolognese
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 1 Tbsp garlic minced or finely chopped
- 2 cups tempeh chopped into small cubes (optional)
- 1 cup eggplant(s) chopped
- 1 cup carrot chopped
- 1 cup onion(s) chopped
- 1 cup mushroom(s) chopped
- 1 16oz jar herbed pasta sauce we used store-bought basil pasta sauce
- 1 cup red lentils uncooked
- 2 cups spiraled whole wheat pasta (optional)
- Chop and mince your vegetables.
- Add 1 cup of uncooked lentils to a small sauce pan and cover with water. Cook until soft, or al dente if you prefer lentils to be less cooked (like me).
- While lentils are cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds to a minute, not letting it burn. Add in the onion and sauté for a minute or until translucent.
- Next, add the tempeh and heat well, about 30 seconds. Then add the carrots, eggplant and mushrooms. Sauté for a few minutes. While they are sautéing, check on your lentils. If they are done cooking, turn off the heat and strain the water out.
- Add the lentils and pasta sauce to the veggie mixture. Stir together well and bring the mixture to a light simmer. Once simmering, reduce the heat to low.
- While the lentil mixture is cooking, fill the small sauce pan you used for the lentils with water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook for 5 minutes, or until al dente.
- Once done, strain the water from the pasta. Put pasta in bowls or on plates, turn and top with lentil sauce mixture. Top with nutritional yeast, herbs or whichever garnishes you desire!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!