How to Cook Tofu
Check out our video below to learn how to cook tofu and prepare it. Including, how to make baked or pan-fried tofu, so you can add it to veggie bowls, salads or sandwiches.
How to Cook Tofu: Bake or Fry
Step 1. Press the Tofu
- Remove tofu and place in the center of a towel, folding the towel around it. Put a heavy object on top of the towel to press the water out of the tofu, for 15-30 minutes (based on your preference).
- You can wrap the tofu in paper towels as well, but I have several dedicated towels just for pressing the tofu, for environmental reasons.
- I use a cast iron skillet or a heavy baking dish to place on top of the tofu as my heavy object, but cookbooks or other heavy items will work as well.
- Some people buy tofu presses, but I don’t have space for one and am more on the minimalist side so I never bought one. I’m sure they work great!
Step 2. Cut the tofu into cubes or slices.
Step 3. Baking or Pan Fry the Tofu
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the tofu on a cookie sheet, lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper (helps the tofu to not stick to the pan)
- Cook tofu for 15-20 minutes
- Remove from oven and either add straight to desired dishes, or coat tofu with a marinade before adding to dishes.
- Marinade the pressed tofu in soy sauce or another marinade of choice (see this post for another easy recipe)
- Heat a non-stick skillet on medium low
- Add the tofu to the skillet and cook for a few minutes, then turn to cook the tofu on each side.
- The tofu is ready, and can be added to any of your favorite sandwiches, veggie bowls, stir-fry’s or salads!