We make this Mushroom Broccoli pasta on a regular basis, switching out the spices and vegetables depending on what we have on hand. It’s a great one to make if you’re on a trip away from home because all of the ingredients are easy to find.
- Feel free to play around with the veggies and spices used in this recipe. We really enjoy portobello’s not just for their flavor, but for the meaty and hearty consistency they bring to a dish.
- We prep a lot of our veggies on Sunday’s so we have them on hand for whatever easy meal we want to throw together. For this recipe, I had onions, mushrooms and broccoli already ready to go, and could have prepped the spinach ahead of time as well.
- You can either cook the pasta al dente to ensure it doesn’t break when mixing in all of the ingredients, or also add it in later. I just like to make sure the pesto really clings to the pasta because it brings a whole extra flavor level to the dish.
- Note: You can easily cook all of the veggies in the big pot, instead of separately. But, I wanted to show you how you can also cook veggies separately and layer flavors on them which really makes a difference in building spices and flavor in a recipe. But, it can take more time.
- If you cook the veggies all in the big pot, cook the garlic and onion per below, then add and cook the mushrooms, then the broccoli, spices and a little bit of water to help steam the broccoli. Then add the vegan sausage, pasta, pesto, sauce, spices and the vegan sausage. Stir in the spinach last until it wilts, then serve.
The written recipe for this pasta is below, or you can also check out the video of the recipe here:
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag us on Instagram or Facebook @theurbanveg. We can’t wait to hear how it goes!
Hearty Mushroom Broccoli Pasta (Vegan)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup white or yellow onion
- 8 oz spiral pasta
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cups portobello mushrooms
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne optional for heat
- 1/4 cup vegan pesto
- 2 field roast sausages or other vegan sausages of your choosing
- 12 oz basil or arrabiata flavored pasta sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast optional for serving
- Fresh Basil optional for serving
- Fill a large pot with water and heat to boiling.
- While the water is boiling, prep your veggies. Mince the garlic, and chop the onion, broccoli and mushrooms. Prepare the spinach leaves if using un-bagged spinach.
- The water should be done boiling. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain the pasta in a colander then return to the large pot.
- While the pasta is boiling, heat a small skillet on medium heat and add a tsp of oil. Let it heat for a minute and add the garlic for 20-30 seconds (until fragrant). Add the onions and cook until translucent. Then, add the broccoli and water, 1/2 tsp of oregano and 1/2 tsp salt (the water helps steam the broccoli). Once cooked through, add the broccoli to the pasta.
- In the same skillet where you cooked the broccoli, add the mushrooms. Cook for a minute, then add the paprika. Cook for a minute or two more, until they are cooked through and add to the broccoli and pasta.
- Heat the large pot with the broccoli, mushrooms and pasta to medium and add the pesto. Mix well. Then add the vegan sausages, the rest of the oregano and salt and the cayenne.
- Add in the pasta sauce and pepper and mix well. Fold in the spinach, mixing a few times so that it wilts into the pasta.
- Serve in bowls, topped with nutritional yeast and basil and enjoy!