Baked Mac n' Cheese
- 8 oz. spiraled whole wheat pasta
- 1 cup water
- 1 onion(s) chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 Tbsp corn starch
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan cheese see recipe link in notes below
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup green onion(s) chopped, optional for topping
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
- Put the garlic in a non-stick skillet with a little water and cook until browned. Add the onion and some water as needed.
- Add the cornstarch and whisk until clumpy, and then add the almond milk. Whisk for a minute until it is blended. It will still be clumpy.
- Transfer to a blender and blend on high for a few minutes. Then add the nutritional yeast, vegan parmesan cheese and salt and pepper as needed and blend again.
- Pour the sauce back into the skillet and heat on medium, stirring. Add more almond milk as needed if it's too thick to combine with pasta. Add more nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan cheese to taste.
- Add in a little garlic powder, paprika and cayenne as needed. Let this simmer on low and turn the oven to broil.
- Once the pasta is ready, strain the water keeping some of the pasta water aside. Put the pasta and a little of the pasta water into the skillet with the cheesy sauce and mix well.
- Once mixed, add the pasta mixture to a glass baking dish (I used a small dish) and top with breadcrumbs. Bake until the breadcrumbs become golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool a bit, and then serve in bowls with green onions on top.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!