Most people are familiar with Chana Masala, a spiced chickpea dish. However, butter beans or any other bean can also be used with masala. Chana simply refers to chickpeas in Hindi, and masala simply means ‘spice’. It’s a fun way to change things up or in case you don’t have garbanzo beans around.
We’ve been experimenting with making our own traditional Chana Masala spice mix, but in the meantime we use already made Chana Masala Spice mix from Indian or Asian grocery stores. Such as this one.
Butter Bean Masala
- 2 1/2 cups butter beans
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 1 yellow onion(s) chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 thumb ginger minced
- 1 chana masala spice mix from Indian/ Asian grocery store or make a homemade mix
- 1 tsp chili powder reduce or omit if you don't like it too spicy
- 1 tsp coriander spice or herb
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Saute the onions in a skillet with a little bit of cooking oil until they begin to soften. Add in the garlic and ginger and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste, masala spice mix, coriander, chili powder, salt, pepper to the pan and mix all ingredients well. Let cook and blend for a few minutes.
- Add in the butter beans with a cup of water and let the flavors meld together. Once the sauce has thickened, it is ready to serve.
- Serve over rice or quinoa and top with red pepper flakes or fresh cilantro leaves. Add a side of spinach and roti and you've got a healthy, delicious, quick-to-make dinner.